Friday, June 22, 2012

On Movies and What People Like





So it seems that my taste in movies is undoubtedly genetic. I know that I seem uncertain and absolutely sure at the same time but let me explain, training during a lifetime of Marx Brothers movies and theater going versus my v
ery strong determination that certain movies are
inherently good makes me unable to be sure or unsure, so I have decided to be both.
Still doesn't make sense? Well join the club it has such lovely Tee Shirts.
Back to the point, The Lorax, The Hunger Games and The Muppet's. Points... back to the points...


I go to the movies quite frequently. Student discounts and the love of a popcorn smell in a dieting world brings me there often. Perhaps it is my age, my understanding or the luxurious smell of popcorn but my once great disdain for all things I don't like has grown into a great desire to like all things. There was a time that if I discovered one of my close friends liked Hot Tub Time Machine and did not like the Three Stooges I would dis
own them as a sadist. But now I merely cross them off my compatible movi

e friends list. Sad I know. But I still assume that all things I deem worthy should be liked by everyone. So much so that I don't even question it when I begin to refer to a movie. Especially since I have lowered my standards down to that of the average movie-goer. I think all anyone cares about is length, visual appeal and emotional connection.
The Lorax with all its fun colors and accurate retelling of a beloved Dr. Seuss classic was meant to be a good movie. I went out and bought flowers after the movie and sang the songs for weeks. Apparently my mind has been dulled because my peers claim there was a sadistic and communist undertone that makes the movie a tool for Satan. Now I don't recall those things. So I'll admit, in half an hour I'm going to see it again. My curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Then There is the Hunger Games. I didn't like the books, at least not to the extent that the pop media explained to me that I should. I had great hopes for the movie to clean up what the messy writing seemed to neglect. And it did! I was so very happ
y! But apparently people like the messy writing and the movie left the people wanting.

I took a deep breath after this blow to my pride. Two movies I had liked. The media had told me to like. And the people rose against
them! I had hoped to like The Muppet's. I had hoped upon hoped that it would be good and I had it be my final test. I hid my true and disappointed opinion of the movie even from myself until my father, the man who taught me what a good movie was and who instilled within me my love for the Muppet's could see it. His was the only opinion that would leave me

knowing if I should trust my new-found movie taste and respect for the rest of the audience. He did not like it either, actually he held almost my exact opinion. Is this genetics? is it training? I don't think so. But I surely know that I am correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment